Sunday, January 9, 2011

Keep Em Cookin'

When my wife was first told that she was going on bed rest and couldn't go back to work she was OK with that. My family knew that it was going to be difficult for her both physically and emotionally. The plan was for her to do whatever she could to ensure that she stayed pregnant for an additional 10 weeks. She did very well the first couple of weeks. She would watch her cooking shows and some day time television but as you can imagine that got old really quick! She started to feel emotionally wore down and didn't have anyone to relate to her condition. My sister had brought over a few ideas when we first found out that she would be on bed rest for the remainder of the pregnancy and one of those were twitter groups for women on bed rest. They have been a saving grace for my wife!

She now passes the long days on the couch by interacting in forums and twitter groups run by keep em cooking. I truly believe that any family that is going through this difficult period should really consider checking out their website and looking at stories from other women who are experiencing the same thing you are.

Interacting with other people going through the same thing you are can help you deal with your emotions with an online support group. I cannot express the gratitude that I have for Keep em Cooking and all of the wonderful ladies that participate in the forum. When my wife has "bad" days emotionally there is always a member that can cheer her up with advice or plain ole' sense of humor that my wife appreciates. As a husband with a wife on bed rest I also benefit from the information that they provide. Women that are in all phases of pregnancy and bed rest provide information for what you might expect by sharing their experiences and those experiences are passed down from member to member to ensure that each person can be as prepared as possible for there journey down bed rest lane!

Please, if you know any body going through a tough pregnancy I encourage you to send this link to them...I know they will find help here:

www.keepemcookin.com


Thank you and have a wonderful day, week and month!

Josh

5 comments:

  1. This is a very interesting post, and I hope everything goes well for you, your wife, and the baby. I'm glad that she has found those Twitter subgroups to keep her interest up. I linked to the web site, and I'm sure it is very helpful to many people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post. I wish you the best of luck with everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. cool post. never heard of the site before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's awesome that your wife was able to find support via a social media site. Sometimes we take social media for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Josh!
    I'm the founder of www.KeepEmCookin.com. I'm thrilled the website and bedrest forum have been such a great resource for your wife. We think Lyns is great, and so supportive of the other bedrest moms on the forum! I think you'll get a kick out of a post on the forum from a "bedrest dad." I asked him if I could post it as an article here: http://www.keepemcookin.com/news.aspx Scroll down to 8.15.09 for "10 Tips for Keeping Your Bedrest Mama Happy." He sums up the experience for men well when he says, "You don't want to be THAT guy." So true! We have a place on the forum for dads too. Feel free to post your thoughts! http://forum.keepemcookin.com
    Wishing you and your family all the best!
    Angela

    ReplyDelete